Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Mom's Potato Salad (with a SECRET INGREDIENT)


"This is it!! THIS is the Secret Ingredient to EGGS-A-RONIUS!" My brothers Jeff and Trav-were they to read this-are very embarrassed for me right now. And that is because, other than myself, they are probably the only ones on the planet to recognize that movie quote as coming from the movie "Ernest Goes to Camp". We were big fans of this show when we were kids, (and by "kids" I am referring to the time in which I was in High School), and any time I hear the words "secret ingredient" I think of that show. Moving along: 
My mom has been requested to make this potato salad for every extended family gathering for as long as I can remember. And that is because it is the best ever. It is the best ever because it contains her secret ingredient: pickle juice, Owen's favorite drink. Adding pickle juice to your potato salad will increase the creaminess and the flavor by a factor of 100, and that is a good thing. Know what I mean, Vern?




My Mom's Potato Salad
Serves 6


6 small, or 4 large potatoes, boiled and cooled
4 eggs, hardboiled and cooled
6 small or 3 large (but not giant) dill or sweet pickles
1/2 cup Mayo (Josh prefers Miracle Whip)
2 Tablespoons pickle juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Lawry's Seasoning Salt


Peel and dice your potatoes into bite-sized pieces, and place them in a large mixing bowl. Peel and chop the eggs, and add them to the potatoes. Dice up the pickles and add. Plop on the mayo, sprinkle with pickle juice, salt and pepper. Mix all together until coated. When ready to serve, sprinkle top with the seasoning salt.

3 comments:

  1. oh my fabulous! I have never made potato salad... today I will make it a goal to make this before summers end. Mark likes mustard... where would I add that in? would it be in addition or replace some of the mayo? or is it just weird to add it in? hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: we loved Ernest too. Both Camp and Saving Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillary-it would not be weird at all-that's how my grandma makes hers! I would start with a couple tablespoons mixed into the mayo, then add more if you need more mustard flavor!

    ReplyDelete