Thursday, July 7, 2011

Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies

When I was my daughter Dylan's age (going into 1st grade), I loved reading so much I would spend hours trying to read through books on my own. When my grandma babysat us, I would pull out her books and see how many I could read before my parents came back to get us. Later in elementary school I would hide a book inside my desk where I could see to read, but the teacher couldn't see what I was doing (I will tell you privately that I still to this day do not know my upper 7, 8, 9, or 12 times tables).  While Dylan enjoys being read to, she gets burned out easily reading herself, and doesn't really love it. As a parent, it is my duty to force her to love the things I love-and so I have introduced: The Read-a-Thon. My most favorite thing ever from elementary school: an hour to silently read; with a pillow; and with TREATS.
I started making these peanut butter cookies last year after seeing them on one of my most favorite food blogs, abountifulkitchen.com. I thought they would be a great cookie to eat out on the hammock for our read-a-thon. They're not thin and crunchy like most peanut butter cookies-they are thick, soft, chewy and rich. And I think I shall go have one for breakfast, now that I think about it. 


Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 2 dozen


1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling and sprinkling-about a 1/2 cup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In your mixing bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add the sugars and mix until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Stop the mixer and add the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix just until combined. 
Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoonfulls and roll into a ball with your hands. Roll in the granulated sugar and place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten with your fingers or a fork. 
Bake 9-10 minutes. When done, sprinkle with more sugar.

1 comment:

  1. PB is my weakness! Thank you thank you! And I love the read-a-thon idea! That was one of my favorite days at school! Partly because it went so fast. And I am LAUGHING OUT LOUD at your, "it is my duty to make them love what I love comment." True, true! Whether we do it purposefully or not!

    ReplyDelete