Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Navajo Tacos



Football season is upon us, friends. And that means the children and I are subjected to Josh's sports radio morning and night. It also means: delicious food. The first time I had a Navajo taco was at a football game-shamefully, the Utes no longer have these available. I can attest they do have: philly cheesesteaks, hot chocolate, roasted cinnamon almonds, and brownies available. I am a rather high-maintenance football guest, but I am perfectly willing to participate in the rounds of high-fives, making me a super fun guest as well. (Even though I may have been thinking that doing rounds of high-fives is pretty much the equivalent of girls turning to each other and screaming and clapping. I'm pretty sure Josh would not be willing to participate in such an activity.)
I've been making this fry bread recipe for years, and it's super easy. And the leftovers can be served for dessert with powdered sugar and honey butter! (In which case I would like to note for my sister who becomes enraged over this topic: they would be called "scones")


Navajo Tacos
Makes 6


2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup evaporated milk
About 3/4 cup water


Mix the dry ingredients to combine. Stir in the evaporated milk, then add water until the dough comes together without being too dry. (I used the entire 3/4 cup)
Knead until elastic and divide into six parts. Pat into circles a 1/4 inch thick.
Fry in oil heated to 365 degrees, until golden brown on each side. It only takes a couple minutes.
Top fry bread with you choice of toppings such as:


refried beans (I used 1 can for all six tacos)
salsa
shredded cheese
avocado
lettuce
sour cream
chopped tomatoes
chopped white/green onions

No comments:

Post a Comment