Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cannoli Cupcakes

I don't want to brag, but I recently came into a large sum of money. Namely, $40. I had been eagerly contemplating what to do with this small fortune (cookbooks? a vacation? a boat?), Josh having decided to spend his share by splurging on extra gas for his truck. (GAS, people. I tried not to fall of my chair in excitement.) I was considering my options when I came upon this recipe from the blog beantownbaker.com. I will tell you I am a GIANT fan of cannoli. The last time I had some was in March at an italian restaurant near Disneyland (Mama Cozza's) that was featured on Diners Drive-In's and Dives on the Food Network, and it was the best I'd ever had. I have since thought about cannoli on a semi-weekly basis, and as soon as I saw the recipe I knew it was fate. Even though I had already spent the grocery budget, I was out the door within 10 minutes of viewing the blog. And after buying the ingredients I didn't have on hand, I still have enough money left over for a night on the town for me and Josh. A ride in the truck to In & Out, perhaps?
This recipe is a little more involved than a traditional cupcake, but if you're a fan of cannoli it's completely worth it!


Cannoli Cupcakes
Makes 24


1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water


For the ganache:
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (or 1 cup chocolate chips)
2 tsp. butter
1/2 cup cream


For the Cannoli Filling/Frosting:
32 oz. ricotta cheese (I used low fat, since I'm on a diet)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
Grated zest of 1 orange


Mini chocolate chips for decorating


Several hours before you are ready to bake the cake, prepare this contraption for the ricotta to drain the excess liquid:


Wrap the cheese in cheesecloth (it can be found in the kitchen gadgets area of the grocery store), then place the bundle in a strainer that has been set over a bowl. Place something heavy, such as a can, on top of the cheese. Let sit several hours (or overnight) in the fridge.


To make the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare cupcake wrappers in pan. Mix together the cake ingredients and divide batter among cups. Bake 20 minutes, and cool completely.


To make the filling/frosting plop the ricotta in a large bowl, and beat with mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Place in the refrigerator until cool and firm (I only left mine in the fridge for 15 minutes, and it was a little soft for piping. But I had an important appointment and didn't have time to wait. An appointment to eat these cupcakes immediately.)


For the ganache, heat the cream and butter in a saucepan until boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Mix until smooth, and let rest 5 minutes.


When the cupcakes are cool, cut a cone shape out of the top of each to allow for extra filling.


Dip the tops of the cupcakes in the ganache. 


Pipe the filling on top of the ganache.


Decorate with mini chocolate chips.

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! You are now on my permanent blog list so I can get instant updates and constantly drool at the computer while salivating at your latest entry!
    I have never tried cannoli but have always wanted to...

    ReplyDelete