Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Toasted Coconut Cashew Ice Cream

 My three children and I recently paid a visit to the Williams Sonoma store. I was due for a new cookbook, and ended up looking them over for an hour (I have to be very careful about my selection now that I am only allowing myself one once in a great while) while repeatedly whisper yelling to my children to, "stop touching", "get down from there", and "for heaven's sake put the knives back". But it was all worth it because I found a great ice cream cookbook, "Sweet Scoops" by Shelly Kaldunski. I immediately wanted to make half of the recipes, but I knew I had to try the Coconut Cashew first. Lovers of coconut will rejoice. Lovers of coconut and sweet/salty treats should sit down before tasting.


Toasted Coconut Cashew Ice Cream


3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 can (14 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup cream of coconut (if you have never bought this, it is near the alcoholic drink mixes at the grocery store-I like Coco Lopez)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup salted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
*The original recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon dark rum, but since I'm mormon and do not partake, I didn't include it. If you are of the Gentile variety, then by all means add. I won't judge. I will instead pray for you. And request your address so I can send the missionaries to your house.


In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, cream of coconut, heavy cream, sugar, rum (if using), and salt. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.


Meanwhile, position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Spread the shredded coconut on a baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 8 minutes, rotating the sheet and stirring the coconut halfway through the baking time. Let the coconut cool completely before using.


Pour the cold coconut-cream mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the cashews and toasted shredded coconut during the last minute of churning. 


Spoon the ice cream into a freezer-safe container and place parchment or waxed paper directly on the surface. Cover tightly and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment