Sunday, June 5, 2011

Quick and Easy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Coleslaw

During the dark and disgusting month of February, I thought it would be a fabulous idea to sign up my two older kids for 3 sports. I pictured four of us happily watching and cheering in pleasant spring weather as our child had a great time developing a skill they would benefit from for the rest of their school days and beyond. This was very delusional thinking.  

Dylan has played soccer since she was 3  and is improving with every season. She finds it very enjoyable, although she is just now seeing it as a game and not just as a social outing where I keep nagging her to run around. 

We signed Owen up for Soccer and T-ball, both of which he absolutely detests. A typical game (of either sport) for Owen would involve: laying down on the field; wandering away from the game; chasing other players to throw grass at them; running around with his face in his shirt while the players run him down because he can't see anything; and speaking to his coach in a highly disrespectful manner. Owen is not technically taking Soccer or T-ball. He is taking "Listen to and Obey Authority Lessons".

He actually kicked the ball quite a ways down the field with his face in his shirt. I was entertained.

So, 4 nights a week (plus 2 games on Saturdays) we could be found at some field or other during dinner time. And after yelling at my child in a public setting (much of the time this season, in the rain) for an hour, I'm not in the mood to cook dinner at 7 o'clock in the evening. With this recipe, I can pick up a rotisserie chicken while I'm out during the day, quickly mix up the coleslaw in the afternoon before heading out (it doesn't get soggy-I've had it as leftovers the next day, and it's just as good), and it takes 5 minutes to assemble the sandwiches when we get home. Also, I am typically a Coleslaw Hater because I've always thought the dressing tasted like glue. Not that I have eaten glue, but what I'm 90% sure glue tastes like. (I am not willing to confirm the other 10%)  The yogurt in this recipe really makes it tangy and delish, and the creamy and crunchy coleslaw goes perfectly with the tender barbecue chicken.

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

Makes 5-8 sandwiches, depending on the size of your buns. In more ways than one.

1 rotisserie chicken
1 cup your favorite bbq sauce

5 large, or 8 small buns

Pull the meat off the chicken, mix with bbq sauce in a medium bowl.

Tangy Coleslaw

1/2 green cabbage, chopped into shreds
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
3 Tablespoons vinegar
1 Tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until creamy and smooth. Fold in the cabbage and green onions. Top the chicken on the sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment