Friday, May 13, 2011

Cowboy Caviar



Have you ever eaten real caviar? I tasted it at my cousin's house, and it caused me to gag in a very violent and unattractive manner in front of my extended family. Fortunately, this Cowboy Caviar has nothing to do with the eggs of fish.

I got this recipe while on a road trip to Southern Utah a couple weekends ago. It was a road trip that included: an average of 42 miles per hour for 300 miles; a pee accident in a carseat; the beautiful wedding of one of my best and oldest friends; the throwing of my cell phone into the hotel toilet; 





since we were pretty used to the kids' whining by then, we did a few small hikes in Zion's National Park; the eating of a delicious bbq chicken pizza at Wild Cat Willie's in Springdale (where the entrance to Zion's Park is), where they 
happened to have a cookbook for sale sitting on our table.

You should know that I am a hoarder of cookbooks. Unfortunately, my husband does not appreciate stacks of cookbooks in our kitchen and living room, and has decided to no longer support my collection. He did, however, support the picture-taking with his iphone of the best-looking recipes.

This is the first recipe I tried, and I thought it was fab. Perfect for a potluck-bbq, or, as we did today, sharing-with-a-neighbor-as-an-afternoon-snack-while-watching-the-kids-ride-bikes- since the-sun-is-finally-shining-event.



Cowboy Caviar

1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 can corn, drained (or fresh or frozen)
1 large avacado, diced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
juice of ½ a lemon
salt and pepper to tast

1 bag tortilla chips

Dump everything into a bowl; mix; snarf with the chips.


3 comments:

  1. Mark is going to love this! And it may indeed turn out to be a dinner at our house on some summer night with watermelon and other fresh fruits as sides. YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the recipe for a similar one last month! love this stuff. mine is just the beans, tomatoes, avacado, corn, green onions and italian dressing you make. We eat it with a spoon it is that good. you can add cilantro but I don't like that much. anyway I am going to try yours and compare! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for a little get together yesterday and it was a HUGE hit! Thanks for sharing it! I'll have black-eyed peas on hand all the time now! ;)

    ReplyDelete