Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Smore's Brownies





I am a smore's pig. When we drive up the canyon with family and friends to roast hot dogs and smore's, it is not unusual for me to embarrass myself. I say: a candy bar is a serving, so as many smore's as you need to make to use up the candy bar-is also a serving. The only problem with smore's is the highly inconvenient fact that it requires a fire pit, which we do not have in our backyard due to the hazard that is our son Owen. (Can you even imagine? Let's not.) 
These brownies are an excellent alternative when you need something portable, or when your Memorial Day is rained/snowed out because it is the worst spring EVER in Utah, yet you still want a summery treat.


Smore's Brownies


Makes 6 Tiffanie Hansen servings, or 12 for those who show restraint.


For the crust:
1 1/2 sleeves graham crackers, crushed
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt


For the brownie layer:
Favorite brownie mix, (I use a family-size mix) made according to directions
1 cup chocolate chips


Topping:
1 bag large marshmallows-each marshmallow cut in half horizontally


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease the sides of a 9 x 13 pan. Mix ingredients for crust, and press firmly (make sure it's evenly firm) into the pan. Bake 10 minutes, and remove from oven.
Meanwhile, mix up your brownie mix, adding the chocolate chips. Pour the batter over the crust, and return to oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean. Let the brownies cool to room temp.
When ready to serve, preheat the broiler. Cover the brownies with the marshmallows, and place under broiler for 1-3 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.  Watch carefully-they brown quickly. When cutting these, I found it helpful to grease the knife with a little butter, since the marshmallows are sticky.



7 comments:

  1. I am glad you mentioned your blog at book club last night. I love it!
    I am putting you ion my google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM GOING TO MAKE THESE RIGHT NOW.... FREALS... I AM GOING TO THE STORE TO GET THE INGREDIENTS... I TOO AND A SMORES PIG.... I JUST BOUGHT 5 TUBS OF DREYERS SMORES ICE CREAM.... IT IS LIMITED THIS TIME OF YR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made these before.... or something like it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE brownies!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffanie, have you ever tried these?

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1713,156179-255197,00.html

    They're delicious and extremely quick to make. In fact, I just made them a couple days ago and have been enjoying them immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber-
    THOSE look super tasty! I love that cereal, and all mixed together it would be easy for kids to eat! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pinned these to my pin board thing and it has been reposted because people love it so much!

    ReplyDelete